Monday, May 6, 2013

Thou and Thou Only First In My Heart

Today I was reminded of one of my favorite hymns, "Be Thou My Vision." It's a beautiful song about letting God help you see everything in His ways. Here are the lyrics:

Be Thou My Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best thought by day or by night
Waking or sleeping, my presence my light.

Be Thou My Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, and I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.


Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.


High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.


These words are absolutely beautiful. What hit me hard is when I saw a youtube video of someone singing the hymn, and she sang the words "Thou and Thou only, first in my heart" three times before singing the next line. It really made me reflect on the importance of having God first in our hearts before anything else. Not riches, not popularity, but the Lord Himself. This is a great reminder in the midst of the craziness of the month of May. We are not justified by the praise of the people around us or by money or fame. We have no justification apart from Christ alone, and He helps us see our purpose. We are to seek the Kingdom of Heaven, and find our Treasure in the Lord. 

Question for the Reader: Are there words or lyrics that stand out to you or send a message in certain times?



"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." --Matthew 6:33

1 comment:

  1. oh, I love that hymn. so very beautiful.

    I also like "be still my soul" and "he's always been faithful" by sara groves. those usually get my crying. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! God bless you.