Monday, November 4, 2013

The 30-Day Blog Challenge, Day 23: Hobbies

Prompt: List your top 3 favorite hobbies and why you love them.

1) Blogging!!!
Yes, indeed. Blogging is one of my favorite hobbies. Why? It allows me to write continuously (not just when papers are due at school) about life, the Lord and His ways and share them with people all over the world. I also consider it to be a way of professing my faith to others.

2) Baking
I'm definitely one of those people that think baking is therapeutic. I love the quote from the movie Julia and Julia in which the food blogger Julie Powell says, "You know what I love about cooking? I love that after a day when nothing is sure, and when I say "nothing" I mean nothing, you can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk, it will get thick. It's such a comfort." I love how baking is a science. If you simply follow the recipe, and measure things carefully, you'll end up with a perfect masterpiece. It's also nice when I'm at home, and everyone else is having a stressful or hard day somehow, just combining an egg, peanut butter, and sugar and baking it turns into something sweet and rewarding for them.

3) Music/Teaching
I wanted to list both of these on my hobby list, but I ranked them together so that it still counted as 3. :)
Teaching: I truly enjoy teaching, because when I prepare to teach a lesson of some form, I learn something too. I either learn a different technique of how to do something, or I learn a fun new fact that I never knew before, or I even learn more about the person that I'm teaching and build a stronger relationship with that person. I feel that it's a gift that God gave me, and I hope to keep learning how to teach even better as I grow.
Music: Have you ever noticed that when you tap your foot on the floor or your pencil on the desk, you're adding background music to your day? Why do grocery stores always play songs at a certain volume, or even at restaurants, a local Subway might play rock music in the background, or a special expensive restaurant might hire live bands to come play? Everyone enjoys music in different forms. It's something special that adds to everyone's life. Without music, life somehow seems a bit empty. Life all of a sudden feels bland or awkward or uncomfortable when there is not one sound to be heard. That's why I like playing music. It feels like I'm adding more to someone's day.

Question for the Reader: How do you like to contribute to other people's lives in big or small ways?

"Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." --Philippians 2:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! God bless you.