Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Summer Reading List


Spring always gets me excited, but it also makes me anticipate for summer to come. So naturally, I plan out what many book-lovers make for the summertime: The Summer Reading List. Here is mine so far:

Required Reading for Omnibus:

City of God by St. Augustine
  • Book I
  • Book II, ch. 21 & Book IV
  • Book V, ch. 8-26
  • Book VIII
  • Book XI
  • Book XII
  • Book XIII
  • Book XIV, ch. 1-17
  • Book XIV, ch. 28
  • Book XV, ch. 1-14
  • Book XV, ch. 18-27
  • Book XVIII, ch. 1-29
  • Book XVIII, ch. 30-54
  • Book XIX, ch. 1-18
  • Book XIX, ch. 19-28
  • Book XX, ch. 16-27 & Book XXI
  • Book XXII, ch. 1-17
  • Book XXII, ch. 18-30
Saga of the Volsungs by Jesse L. Byock

The Koran
  • Sura 3 ("The Imrans")
  • Sura 8 (The Spoils)
  • Sura 9 (Repentance)
Pleasure Reading:

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
Emma by Jane Austen

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Silmarillion by J.R. Tolkien

Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Poems by Emily Dickinson

Poems by Walt Whitman

Poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Dracula by Bram Stoker

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Macbeth by Shakespeare

Hamlet by Shakespeare

Works of G.K. Chesterton

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

Beautiful Outlaw by John Eldredge

Confessions by St. Augustine

Beowulf

Watership Down by Richard Adams

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi


Questions for the Reader: Do you have a summer reading list? What are some books that you are looking forward to reading the most? Any suggestions for really great books to read?

"For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." --Romans 15:4 


4 comments:

  1. Great list, Hayley! Are some of these re-reads? If not, I'm surprised you haven't already read them. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many of them I have begun to read, but not all the way through, unfortunately. The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle has been read aloud to me, but that was several years ago, and I have almost completely forgot the entire story, so I'd like to read it again myself. :) Looking at the list again, I'm surprised I haven't read all of these either...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH you're gonna LOVE the hiding place. I love that book SO MUCH. :) I really want to read the Bronte Sisters as well. the good news is that I'm guaranteed to read Jane Austen this summer because of the class I'm taking, but I'd like to add things like "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Silmarillion" to my list. :D oh and of course that omnibus summer reading. :P st. augustine should be pretty interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all great choices! Thanks for linkin'! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! God bless you.